For surface backpressure Managed Pressure Drilling (MPD) drilling operations, it is possible to circulate minor influxes using the MPD equipment, without resorting to conventional “well control” with a closed Blow Out Preventer (BOP).
We asked Christian Berg (CB) to give us some “behind the scenes” information about his PhD journey. Enjoy.
“More than just controls.”
A new year brings new beginnings. We are pleased to announce that Kelda Drilling Controls will now be known as Kelda Dynamics.
In the middle of COVID-19 restrictions, 20th of March 2020, our bright star Christian Berg had his public defense (disputation) and became the fifth Ph.D. in the Kelda team.
Kelda Drilling Controls has been nominated for Gullkronen 2020 in the category for the “New Venture of the Year”, awarded by Rystad Energy.
Kelda will be joining the Norwegian Pavilion with Innowell Solutions, Trelleborg Offshore Norway, and CannSeal at ADIPEC 2019, Adu Dhabi.
Kelda is pleased to announce that Martin Culen has joined the team as Chief Commercial Officer. He joined Kelda on October 1st, after 14 years with Blade Energy Partners.
Innovation Norway is running a program to get Norwegian technology companies into the US and Mexico Energy market. Kelda Drilling Controls will join this program for 2019 and 2020 and are excited to deliver more state-of-the-art technology into the region.
Kelda will have a poster presentation at the IADC/SPE Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference in Amsterdam 9-10 April 2019. The conference will take place in the Mövenpick hotel in downtown Amsterdam, and Kelda will have a poster session on automated pressure control for underbalanced drilling – be sure to pay us a visit at P7 as shown on the floorplan below:
Kevin Wise, one of our Chief Advisors and Partners, was inducted by the U.S. National Academy of Engineering (NAE) on September 30 2018. Wise, along with two other engineers from Boeing, were among the 83 new and 16 international members inducted at the academy’s annual meeting in Washington, D.C. The academy acknowledged Wise for his application of optimal, robust and adaptive control to aircraft and advanced weapon systems.
Kelda has a long history of employing students as interns, and already has two PhD-candidates from USN and NTNU working as Research Engineers. This fall, Kelda again partnered with the University of Southeast-Norway (USN) and their Industry Master-programme, and employed Martine Alvestad as their first Systems Engineer Student.
Kelda's control system Leidar® has successfully been used for a fully automated Underbalanced Drilling (UBD) operation at the Archinskoe oil field in Russia. GNS and partner Air Drilling Associates performed the job for Gazpromneft Vostok. Watch the video below to see Leidar in-action (external link)
A lot has happened since we completed our first onshore well in the Autumn of 2016. The times are busy with the development of new features and improvements of existing ones as we receive more feedback from the industry. We are extremely proud to announce that our MPD control system Leidar® completed its two first offshore operations in Indonesia the last quarter of 2017, drilling in total 5960 ft.
- Aberdeen Drilling School to Exclusively Use Kelda’s Hydraulic Engine March 25, 2021
- CB explains: The IME approach to handling influxes with MPD March 12, 2021
- Is There a Doctor on the Rig? (CB explains: His PhD) February 2, 2021
- Research collaboration in 2020 January 22, 2021
- Name change January 10, 2021
- Christian Berg Ph.D. August 3, 2020
- Nominated for Gullkronen 2020 January 24, 2020
- Visit us at ADIPEC 2019 November 9, 2019
- Martin Culen joins Kelda November 6, 2019
- Joining Innovation Norway Global Growth US/Mexico Energy Program October 17, 2019
- Meet Kelda here: IADC/SPE Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference and Exhibition March 11, 2019
- Kevin Wise elected to the U.S. National Academy of Engineering November 7, 2018
- Kelda joins the Industry Master-programme September 19, 2018
- First automated UBD operation in Russia July 4, 2018
- Completed offshore drilling in Indonesia April 18, 2018
- Kelda Products (Kelda inside) April 10, 2018
- Funding from Oslofjordfondet April 9, 2018
- Another job, another success July 24, 2017
- Kevin Wise receives IEEE. Technical Excellence in Aerospace Control Award December 25, 2016
- Article in Teknamagasinet December 5, 2016
- Kickoff Workshop Industrial PhD Project October 24, 2016
- First MPD system operated by driller September 26, 2016
- Research Project Startup at HSN September 21, 2016
- MPD Conference in Galveston April 11, 2016
- Successfull flow loop testing March 25, 2016
- Visit us at Al Mansoori’s stand at ADIPEC November 9, 2015
- Glenn-Ole Kaasa speaker at SPE MPD workshop in Rio August 14, 2015
- New R&D Engineer: Vinicius de Oliveira June 1, 2015
- DrillingContractor.org article with Kevin Wise May 1, 2015
- Kevin Wise presented at the MPD/UBO Conference April 21, 2015
- Industrial PhD funding granted November 1, 2014
- New Research Engineer: Jon Åge Stakvik June 28, 2014
- New Research Engineer: Christian Berg June 10, 2014
- New Leading Expert: Pål Jacob Nessjøen April 1, 2014
- Research grant from Oslofjordfondet March 27, 2014
- Support granted from Innovasjon Norge March 12, 2014
- New Leading Expert: Geir Arne Evjen March 1, 2014
- New Chief Advisor: Robert Graham January 10, 2014
- New Chief Advisor: Kevin Wise January 10, 2014
- Kelda Drilling Controls Established October 15, 2013