A workshop marking the kickoff of the Industrial PhD Project HYDRA — HYdraulics modelling for DRilling Automation — was held at Kelda’s headquarters in Porsgrunn this week.
Our MPD control system Leidar® has been on its first onshore job on an HPHT well in the Middle East. The control system was installed with all three modules, Pressure Control, Real-Time Hydraulics Model and Influx Loss Detection. The system was integrated with the NOV control chair, with main operation from a touch screen panel in the driller's cabin. In addition to the MPD-specific data, the Leidar® Screen also displays data from the most important rig systems and sensors.
University College of Southeast Norway (HSN) and Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) have received funding for research on new sensors and models for improved kick and loss detection in drilling. Kelda Drilling Controls is the initiator of the project and will contribute with in-house expertise and guidance together with other project partners from the drilling industry. The project involves four new PhD positions and has a budget of 20 million NOK plus in-kind contributions from the industry. Professor Bernt Lie and project administrator Håkon Viumdal were interviewed by Automatisering 05-2016 (see facsimile in Norwegian for details). Article on Automatisering.no. English version by Google translate.
Kelda will be on the Reform Energy Services stand and present a paper on this years SPE/IADC Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference in Galveston.
We have now for seven months, in cooperation with Reform Energy Services, Air Drilling Associates and Al Mansoori, tested our Leidar® Pressure Controller (PC) in a large scale flow loop in Abu Dhabi. During the fourth testing phase in the flow loop, in early March 2016, the MPD Choke Manifold with the Leidar® Control System got tested with both single-phase and two-phase (nitrogen injection) flow. The test was a great success and several visitors got the chance to control the pressure and see how the system performed. For more details check out our Drilling Contractor article here.
Glenn-Ole Kaasa, CEO at Kelda, will speak at the upcoming SPE Managed Pressure Drilling and Well Control Workshop in Rio de Janeiro this year. The talk entitled ‘Advances in Choke Control Algorithms for MPD’, will in particular address the topic of robustness of MPD control systems, and show examples of how adaptive control can make the control system gracefully handle severe disturbances such circulating out gas influxes.
We are proud to share the news that Vinicius de Oliveira is joining the Kelda team as a R&D Engineer this autumn. Vinicius is at the moment completing his PhD research at NTNU, where he’s been developing robust and adaptive control strategies to mitigate severe-slugging flow in oil and gas production.
Drilling Contractor published on their web page an article about the keynote presentation Kevin Wise had at the MPD/UBO Conference in Dubai.
Kevin Wise held the opening keynote presentation at the IADC/SPE Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference in Dubai this year. He is Chief Advisor at Kelda Drilling Controls and Senior Technical Fellow at The Boeing Company.
Our two Research Engineers, Jon Åge Stakvik and Christian Berg, got their Industrial PhD funding granted by the Norwegian Research Council. Their topics will be “Adaptive model-based control of downhole pressure during drilling operations” and “Modeling for automatic control and estimation of influx and loss during drilling operations”.
- Christian Berg Ph.D. August 3, 2020
- Nominated for Gullkronen 2020 January 24, 2020
- Visit us at ADIPEC 2019 November 9, 2019
- Martin Culen joins Kelda November 6, 2019
- Joining Innovation Norway Global Growth US/Mexico Energy Program October 17, 2019
- Meet Kelda here: IADC/SPE Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference and Exhibition March 11, 2019
- Kevin Wise elected to the U.S. National Academy of Engineering November 7, 2018
- Kelda joins the Industry Master-programme September 19, 2018
- First automated UBD operation in Russia July 4, 2018
- Completed offshore drilling in Indonesia April 18, 2018
- Kelda Products (Kelda inside) April 10, 2018
- Funding from Oslofjordfondet April 9, 2018
- Another job, another success July 24, 2017
- Kevin Wise receives IEEE. Technical Excellence in Aerospace Control Award December 25, 2016
- Article in Teknamagasinet December 5, 2016
- Kickoff Workshop Industrial PhD Project October 24, 2016
- First MPD system operated by driller September 26, 2016
- Research Project Startup at HSN September 21, 2016
- MPD Conference in Galveston April 11, 2016
- Successfull flow loop testing March 25, 2016
- Visit us at Al Mansoori’s stand at ADIPEC November 9, 2015
- Glenn-Ole Kaasa speaker at SPE MPD workshop in Rio August 14, 2015
- New R&D Engineer: Vinicius de Oliveira June 1, 2015
- DrillingContractor.org article with Kevin Wise May 1, 2015
- Kevin Wise presented at the MPD/UBO Conference April 21, 2015
- Industrial PhD funding granted November 1, 2014
- New Research Engineer: Jon Åge Stakvik June 28, 2014
- New Research Engineer: Christian Berg June 10, 2014
- New Leading Expert: Pål Jacob Nessjøen April 1, 2014
- Research grant from Oslofjordfondet March 27, 2014
- Support granted from Innovasjon Norge March 12, 2014
- New Leading Expert: Geir Arne Evjen March 1, 2014
- New Chief Advisor: Robert Graham January 10, 2014
- New Chief Advisor: Kevin Wise January 10, 2014
- Kelda Drilling Controls Established October 15, 2013