Kelda has a long history of employing students as interns, and already has two PhD-candidates from USN and NTNU working as Research Engineers. This fall, Kelda again partnered with the University of Southeast-Norway (USN) and their Industry Master-programme, and employed Martine Alvestad as their first Systems Engineer Student.
Kelda's control system Leidar® has successfully been used for a fully automated Underbalanced Drilling (UBD) operation at the Archinskoe oil field in Russia. GNS and partner Air Drilling Associates performed the job for Gazpromneft Vostok. Watch the video below to see Leidar in-action (external link)
A lot has happened since we completed our first onshore well in the Autumn of 2016. The times are busy with the development of new features and improvements of existing ones as we receive more feedback from the industry. We are extremely proud to announce that our MPD control system Leidar® completed its two first offshore operations in Indonesia the last quarter of 2017, drilling in total 5960 ft.
More and more Kelda Systems are being used out there in the wide world. Our Product page is under development, but it now shows most of our products available. If any of these find your interest, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We at Kelda are proud to inform that our project on Smart and Robust Influx Handling was decided funded on the 29.08.2017 by Oslofjordfondet. Kelda Drilling Controls would like to send big thanks to Oslofjordfonded for supporting us on this project and will do our best to make this a great success.
The team deliver more than ever and we see that both our core products are really getting traction and more experience every day.
The whole team of Kelda would like to congratulate our Chief Advisor, Kevin Wise, with the IEEE. Technical Excellence in Aerospace Control Award of 2016, for the contributions to the flight demonstration of the Phantom Eye high altitude long endurance UAV using robust adaptive control.
The Norwegian Society of Graduate Technical and Scientific Professionals (Tekna), has an online magazine they use to tell different focused stories every month. Kelda Drilling Controls was in the October 2016 article one of their main companies to tell about with the headline “Here’s oil crisis profiteer”.
A workshop marking the kickoff of the Industrial PhD Project HYDRA — HYdraulics modelling for DRilling Automation — was held at Kelda’s headquarters in Porsgrunn this week.
Our MPD control system Leidar® has been on its first onshore job on an HPHT well in the Middle East. The control system was installed with all three modules, Pressure Control, Real-Time Hydraulics Model and Influx Loss Detection. The system was integrated with the NOV control chair, with main operation from a touch screen panel in the driller's cabin. In addition to the MPD-specific data, the Leidar® Screen also displays data from the most important rig systems and sensors.
University College of Southeast Norway (HSN) and Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) have received funding for research on new sensors and models for improved kick and loss detection in drilling. Kelda Drilling Controls is the initiator of the project and will contribute with in-house expertise and guidance together with other project partners from the drilling industry. The project involves four new PhD positions and has a budget of 20 million NOK plus in-kind contributions from the industry. Professor Bernt Lie and project administrator Håkon Viumdal were interviewed by Automatisering 05-2016 (see facsimile in Norwegian for details). Article on Automatisering.no. English version by Google translate.
Kelda will be on the Reform Energy Services stand and present a paper on this years SPE/IADC Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference in Galveston.
We have now for seven months, in cooperation with Reform Energy Services, Air Drilling Associates and Al Mansoori, tested our Leidar® Pressure Controller (PC) in a large scale flow loop in Abu Dhabi. During the fourth testing phase in the flow loop, in early March 2016, the MPD Choke Manifold with the Leidar® Control System got tested with both single-phase and two-phase (nitrogen injection) flow. The test was a great success and several visitors got the chance to control the pressure and see how the system performed. For more details check out our Drilling Contractor article here.
Glenn-Ole Kaasa, CEO at Kelda, will speak at the upcoming SPE Managed Pressure Drilling and Well Control Workshop in Rio de Janeiro this year. The talk entitled ‘Advances in Choke Control Algorithms for MPD’, will in particular address the topic of robustness of MPD control systems, and show examples of how adaptive control can make the control system gracefully handle severe disturbances such circulating out gas influxes.
- Kelda joins the Industry Master-programme September 19, 2018
- First automated UBD operation in Russia July 4, 2018
- Completed offshore drilling in Indonesia April 18, 2018
- Kelda Products (Kelda inside) April 10, 2018
- Funding from Oslofjordfondet April 9, 2018
- Another job, another success July 24, 2017
- Kevin Wise receives IEEE. Technical Excellence in Aerospace Control Award December 25, 2016
- Article in Teknamagasinet December 5, 2016
- Kickoff Workshop Industrial PhD Project October 24, 2016
- First MPD system operated by driller September 26, 2016
- Research Project Startup at HSN September 21, 2016
- MPD Conference in Galveston April 11, 2016
- Successfull flow loop testing March 25, 2016
- Visit us at Al Mansoori’s stand at ADIPEC November 9, 2015
- Glenn-Ole Kaasa speaker at SPE MPD workshop in Rio August 14, 2015
- New R&D Engineer: Vinicius de Oliveira June 1, 2015
- DrillingContractor.org article with Kevin Wise May 1, 2015
- Kevin Wise presented at the MPD/UBO Conference April 21, 2015
- Industrial PhD funding granted November 1, 2014
- New Research Engineer: Jon Åge Stakvik June 28, 2014
- New Research Engineer: Christian Berg June 10, 2014
- New Leading Expert: Pål Jacob Nessjøen April 1, 2014
- Research grant from Oslofjordfondet March 27, 2014
- Support granted from Innovasjon Norge March 12, 2014
- New Leading Expert: Geir Arne Evjen March 1, 2014
- New Chief Advisor: Robert Graham January 10, 2014
- New Chief Advisor: Kevin Wise January 10, 2014
- Kelda Drilling Controls Established October 15, 2013